Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Job Story

I thought I'd take this oppertunity to tell you a little bit about how the employment situation works around here. You see, I don't work. As you can tell from the title of my blog, I am a stay at home mom (SAHM). I love doing it, but believe me, this was not by choice.

Back in August, Jaime and I both worked for a breakfast restaurant called, International House Of Pancakes (IHOP). I was a served, and he cooked. Originally, we both were working day shift. However, after I came back from maternity leave, I started working night shift. This happened so that I could stay home with Aiden during the day, and Jaime could be with him at night. This meant that Aiden wouldn't have to stay with a babysitter or be put in a daycare. Plus, it wouldn't cost us nearly $200 a week!!

Initally it worked out well. However, once the diapers from our baby shower started running out, and Aiden required more and more formula, things got more difficult financially. The plan was that I would find another job and I would quit working at IHOP. It seemed like a good plan at first, but that also meant that I would have to either find another night shift job, or get a day shift job that would pay me enough so that we could afford daycare.

At that point, the plan changed. We would BOTH start looking for another job. We would both look for night shift jobs. If I found a job first, I would quit IHOP and begin work at the new job. If Jaime found a job first, I would quit IHOP and he would start working two jobs. I was not happy with the second option, but we had to do something. Unfortunetly, Jaime found a job first. He was going to be cooking at an Italian restaurant called Dominicks.

He worked at Dominicks from August 09` until March 2010. He left Dominicks because he found a new job, where he would be making $1.50 more an hour, and would be working more hours. The first part sounded great to me, but I wasn't so happy about the second part. I felt like working more hours would be too hard on him, seeing as how he already worked 12-14 hours a day. In his new job he would be working at a different restaurant, called Cheeky. Cheeky is a Mexican restaurant.

He has been working at Cheeky for about two weeks now. He seems to like it, but sometimes he doesn't get home until after 2am. I'm not happy about him coming home so late, but I feel like it's his decision to make. I'm just happy that we are able to pay our bills and afford a few extras. I do wish that he could spend more time with me and the kids, but if it weren't for him, we wouldn't be able to have kids.

I'm not gonna lie, it does tend to put a strain on our relationship at times. But one thing's for sure, Jaime and I have a very strong relationship. This is just a bump in the road for us in the grand scheme of things. One day, we will both be working day jobs and be able to afford to put Aiden in daycare. Then he and I, and our whole family, will be able to spend the time together that we love and deserve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I always love hearing what you all have to say! =)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com