Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gallbladder Surgery: Recovery Day 1

So, I have been home nearly a full 24 hours since my surgery yesterday. For those of you who don't know, I had to have my gallbladder removed. I had been having stomach pains about a month ago, and after a CT Scan, it showed that I had a 2.5cm gallstone. Rather than just removing the stone, they just took out the whole gallbladder. I'm assuming that is so this problem doesn't reoccur.
Anyhow, the surgery itself took about 45 minutes. I was released from the hospital about 4 hours after the surgery had ended. Before I could leave the hospital, I had to be able to hold down a little bit of food, use the bathroom, and get up and walk around for five minutes. Once I was able to do all of those things, I was released.
I have been taking my pain medication every 3-4 hours. The doctors reccomended that I didn't wait until I had pain to take the medication, they reccomended that I take the medication so that I remained pain free for at least the first 48-72 hours. Ironically, most of the pain that I have had has been in my right shoulder. They said that was normal, and is caused by the gas they used to inflate my stomach during the surgery. I also have to take a self-injected blood thinner to prevent blood clots. I have to inject it into my abdomen once a day for three days. I am not happy at all about having to do it myself, but the doctors insisted that it was the best way. It was also suggested that I walk as much as possible. I am not supposed to lift anything over 5lbs for at least the first week, and after that my doctor will let me know if I can resume regular lifting. The walking also helps to release the gas used to inflate my abdomen, and helps to relieve any shoulder pain I have.
So far the hardest part has been resisting the urge to hold Aiden. This week he is spending the night with my mom, and then during the day either she or Jaime will stay with me. This way I don't have to do any heavy lifting, and I can spend a good amount of time resting and healing. It's just difficult to keep from picking Aiden up because I am so used to being able to hold him whenever I want. It's also hard not to pick him up when I know he wants me to hold him. I think he can sense that there is something different about me. He's not sure what it is exactly, but he seems aware that I am sore and unable to hold him. Earlier today I showed him the bandages on my stomach. I tried to explain that I have boo-boos on my belly. He seemed to understand, and when he tried to touch the bandages he was very gentle, and kept saying 'awww' and trying to hug me.
I am allowed to take my first post-surgery shower this afternoon. I am also supposed to remove the bandages when I shower. So, we'll see how that goes. I am kind of excited to see what it looks like underneath the bandages. I'll try to update as much as I can. Thank you all for your prayers and support!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I always love hearing what you all have to say! =)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com